Wander by the River
at Batemans Bay NSW Australia
At the time, I read and saw how the bushfires affected Batemans Bay and the surrounding areas last summer (2019). Closed roads, no power, no petrol, closed supermarkets, and the like, left residents and holidaymakers stranded.
And, they were forced to survive in the smoke-filled air from the bushfires.
Things to Do in Batemans Bay
- Learn about Bateman Bay's history and go on the Batemans Bay History Walk
- Immerse yourself on the coastal walk, the Bingie Dreaming Track at the Eurobodalla National Park
- Look in on Batemans Bay Heritage Museum
- Visit Eurobodalla Regional Botanic Garden
- Free guided first Sunday monthly
- Self-guided walks
- Arboretum Track
- Aboriginal Heritage Walk
- Foresty Children's Walk
- Forest Track
- Hill Track
- Explore the Discovery, Naturescape, and Sandstone Gardens
- Walk along the Clyde River
- Make a picnic and walk along the beach
- Walk on the walking tracks
- Sit and watch the boats sail on Clyde River
- Eat oysters farmed in Batemans Bay
See the Old Batemans Bay Bridge Sculpture and Picture
In the picture, you see the old Batemans Bay Bridge which has been pulled down. It was a 65-year-old bridge with a steel truss vertical lift span.
A new bridge has been built since I visited and was opened in 2021. You can see a series of videos of the replacement project and read about how components of the old bridge are being repurposed with heritage and historic value.
In May 2022, the sculpture was placed near the new Batemans Bay Bridge.
Princes Wharf and the Old Batemans Bay Bridge in the Background
Things to Do near Batemans Bay
- Visit seal and whale watching at Montague Island.
- See the rock formations and scenic views, bird watch, and walk at Bingie Bingie Point at Eurobodalla National Park
- Immerse yourself on the walk, Bingie Dreaming Track at the Eurobodalla National Park
- Trek from Congo to TurossHead 14 km along the coast
- Spend some time at the historical Quarry Park at Moruya.
- The quarry site is where the Sydney Harbour Bridge pylons were extracted
- Go on the Moruya Historic Town Walk
- Pack a picnic or BBQ and head for Pebbly Beach in the Murramarang National Park
- See the rock formations and volcanic rock, and white and black sand on the Dark Beach Walking Track in the Murramarang National Park
- Walk through the rainforest and on the white sandy beach at Depot Beach in the Murramarang National Park
Not far away, 10 minutes, you can visit Mogo.
However, the Old Gold Rush Colony Mogo was devastated in the 2019 bushfires and closed. You can see before and after photos of the destruction caused by the bushfires on their FB page.
Visit Mogo Village, it's a historical town that started after the 1850s gold rush.
You'll find things to do in Mogo like
- bike riding
- visiting Mogo zoo
- walking at the botanical garden
- shopping for handcrafts, artwork, and local produce
- seeing the miners' cottages as well as new buildings
- like Mogo Bowerbird Garage is an old miner
- looking up the map of the town which is now interactive
- eating an ice cream
- having a coffee
- eating lunch
- looking at the ocean views from the lookout
- walking along the beaches
Mogo Wildlife Park
And then, for me, it was the scenes on TV showing Mogo Wildlife Park. The bushfires from Clyde Mountain threatened the wildlife park.
The owner and workers at the zoo stayed to protect the animals. On the broadcasts, you saw how they drove around the park with portable water tanks spraying water.
Visit the Mogo Wildlife Park. Mogo Wildlife Park had to close cause of the bushfires. And, it had to close again due to the restrictions in place.
Boat at Princes Wharf on Clyde River
Clyde River at Batmans Bay
Boat sailing on the Clyde River and Person standing by the rocks
NSW Travel Essentials
- Find out the NSW Weather and Warnings at BOM
- Check the Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans and Rules in NSW
- Carry water
- Find toilets
Beach Information and Conditions
- Look up the beach information and conditions, at Beachsafe, and the app, for instance:
- If the beach is patrolled or unpatrolled, and if patrolled days and hours
- Current Temperature
NSW National Parks
- Check for NSW National Park closures and alerts
- Look up NSW National Parks for details including alerts, visitor information, park entry fees, annual passes for beaches, lookouts, car parks, and picnic areas, road quality, vehicle access, weather restrictions, entry points, facilities, maps, safety, and prohibited.
- Murramarang National Park on the South Coast NSW near Batemans Bay
- Mimosa Rocks National Park on the South Coast near Bermagui
- Gulaga National Park near Bermagui and Tilba Tilba
- Blue Mountains National Park in country NSW and The Three Sisters in Katoomba
- Eurobodalla National Park on the South Coast from Moruya Head to Mystery Head
- Boewa National Park on the South Coast near Eden
- Meroo National Park near Batemans Bay and Ulladulla on the South Coast
- Budderoo National Park near Jamberoo and Nowra, inland from Kiama on the South Coast
- Barren Grounds Nature Reserve near Kiama on the South Coast
- Macquarie Pass National Park near Kiama on the South Coast
- Killalea Regional Park near Kiama on the South Coast
- Download the National Parks NSW App
- Read the recommendations to leave the park, bush, and beach as you found it
- Don't feed the wildlife, find out the details
- Carry water
Where is Batmans Bay in New South Wales?
After Ulladulla, you head south of Sydney along the south coast of New South Wales. The drive takes you on the Princes Highway to Batemans Bay.
Then, you cross over Clyde River via the Clyde River Bridge. Clyde River flows into Batemans Bay.
You can try the oysters, which are harvested in the river.
See the map below for the location of Batemans Bay.
Blue Mountains in NSW
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn compensation when you make purchases, at no extra cost to you. Go on the Three Sisters Walk in the Blue Mountains Where are the Three Sisters? The Three Sisters are at Katoomba in the Blue Mountains, New South Wales,...
Wallaga Lake Things To Do
Things To Do At Wallaga Lake Spend Time by a Lake on the south coast of New South Wales Australia Where Is Wallaga Lake? You will find Wallaga Lake in Bermagui on the south coast of New South Wales Australia. Driving from the north, you'll drive over a...
Sydney to Melbourne Inland RoadTrip
Places to Visit between Sydney and MelbourneVisit 4 places on a Sydney to Melbourne road trip inland. You can stop at these four places and visit them on the drive between Sydney and Melbourne. And, you can visit the four stops on a Melbourne to Sydney road trip too....
What would you like to do at Batmans Bay?
Which one would you choose first?
Where would you like to visit on the coast?
Looks like a great place to visit. Will surely plan. Beautiful website and content. got to know about this website from twitter. We follow each other. Good to connect.
Thank you Priyanka. It’s nice to connect with each other on Twitter.
Another beautiful place to see in Australia. I can’t wait to travel again and start checking these places off my list.
Thank you Heather. Hope it’s not too far away. And, you get to travel Australia.
I’m loving all your travel guides from a local’s perspective…can’t wait to visit!
Thank you kmf. Hope it’s not too long before you get to travel here.
Looks like a wonderful area. I so look forward to visiting Australia some day!
Thank you Cindy. Hope you travel Australia
I would love to visit Australia one day and Batemans Bay sounds just about perfect.
Thank you Shirley. Hope you get to visit Australia
This would be a perfect location to visit!
Thank you Lisa
The wildlife park sounds like a great place to visit. Sorry it had to close because of the wildfires.
Thank you for your concern Sara.
I would definitely love to go there! Maybe someday?? Thanks for the great photos! and info!
Thank you Cathy. Hope you get to travel Australia
Bateman’s Bay looks like a fun place to explore. Beautiful, too!
Thank you Stacey.
I love to visit this area. I would also like to visit the wildlife park.
Thank you Leeanne. The wildlife park would be an interesting place to visit.
This looks like a great place to visit! I love places by the water.
Thank you Eva. I love the coast too.
Now I’m even more sad that we had to cancel our Australia trip this year.
Hope you get to reschedule Christine
I would love to visit Eurobodalla Regional Botanic Gardens. When we visit new places we like to find the local gardens.
I find the gardens interesting too, Missy. Especially, when there are flowers blooming. And, you can see what are the native flora to the area.
Sounds like a great place to visit!
Thank you Pam